There are countless books on mountaineering, climbing and other related topics out there. While almost all are excellent sources for more information, those listed below are recommended as they follow closest to our instruction.
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills (6th Ed.) by the Mountaineers
- Widely considered the Bible of mountaineering literature, this is the closest thing you will find to a textbook on the subject, and it covers almost all the topics which we will touch upon during our program.
- The Avalanche Handbook by David McClung and Peter Schaerer
- Detailed and well-explained information on snow physics and the causes, forecasting and avoidance of one of natures most powerful forces.
- The ABC of Avalanche Safety by E.R. LaChapelle
- A pocket sized guide to avalanche forcasting and prevention.
- Mountaineering First Aid: A Guide to Accident Response and First Aid Care, by The Mountaineers
- A guide to mountaineering related injuries and their care. This book also includes sections on the management of accidents and evacuations.
- High Altitude Illness and Wellness, by Charles Houston
- A decent introduction to acclimatization and altitude sickness. This book has several helpful illustrations.
- Mountain Sickness: Prevention, Recognition and Treatment, by Peter H. Hackett.
- A pocket size gide to acclimatization and altitude Sickness.
- High Altitude Medicine, report by Pepper Etters
- This [unpublished] report offers a deeper look into the physiological basis of acclimatization and altitude sickness. Written in laymans terms.
- How to Ice Climb!, by Craig Luebben
- A solid introduction to ice climbing by one of the masters of the sport.
- Life and Death on Mount Everest: Sherpas and High Altitude Mountaineering, by Sherry B. Ortner
- An account of the relationship between the mountaineers and the Sherpas in the Himalayas.
- Teach Yourself Nepali, by Michael Hunt and Abhi Subedi.
- Trekking and Climbing in Nepal, by Steve Razzetti
- This book contains up to date information on many of our routes.
- Trekking in Nepal: A Traveler's Guide, by Stephen Bezruchka.
- Trekking in the Everest Region, by Jamie McGuinness.
- The Sherpas of Rolwaling, North Nepal: A Study in Cultural Ecology, by Janice Sacherer
- Sherpas: Reflections on Change in North Nepal, by James Fisher
219 W. Spencer St. #3
Ithaca, NY 14850
Tel: (609) 256-0102 Fax: (708) 575-6620 Email: