The Rolwaling Mountaineering School
- There are countless books on mountaineering, climbing and other related topics. While most are excellent sources for information, those listed below follow our lessons closely.
- Mountaineering: The Freedom of the hills (6th Ed.), by the Mountaineers
- Widely considered the "Bible of Mountaineering Literature," this is the closest thing you will find to a textbook on Mountaineering. It covers almost all the topics which we will cover during our course.
- The Avalanche Handbook, by David McClung and Peter Schaerer
- Detailed and well-explained information on snow physics and the causes, forecasting and avoidance of one of natures most powerful forces.
- The ABC of Avalanche Saftey by E.R. LaChapelle
- A pocket sized guide to avalanche forcasting and prevention.
- Mountaineering First Aid: A Guide to Accident Response and First Aid Care, by The Mountaineers
- A guide to Mountaineering related injuries and their care. This book also includes sections on the management of accidents and evacuations.
- High Altitude Illness and Wellness by Charles Houston
- A decent introduction to acclimatization and altitude sickness. This book has several helpful illustrations.
- Mountain Sickness: Prevention, Recognition and Treatment, by Peter H. Hackett.
- A pocket size guide to acclimatization and altitude sickness.
- High Altitude Medicine, by Pepper Etters
- This [unpublished] report reviews what is known about the physiological basis of acclimatization and altitude sickness. Written in layman's terms.
- How to Ice Climb! by Craig Luebben
- A solid introduction to ice climbing by one of the masters of the sport.
- Life and Death on Mount Everest: Sherpas and High Altitude Mountaineering by Sherry B. Ortner -
- Teach Yourself Nepali by Michael Hunt and Abhi Subedi.
- Trekking and Climbing in Nepal by Steve Razzetti
- This book contains up-to-date information on many of our routes.
- Trekking in Nepal: A Traveler's Guide by Stephen Bezruchka.
- Trekking in the Everest Region by Jamie McGuinness.
- The Sherpas of Rolwaling, North Nepal: A Study in Cultural Ecology by Janice Sacherer
- The seminal research on Rolwaling Valley; Bridges is currently collaborating with Jan in updating this indispensable treatise.
- Sherpas: Reflections on Change in North Nepal by James Fisher
- [MORE TO COME!]
Agenda Costs Gear List Staff Photos Bridges to Rolwaling Sylabus Refrence Library Apply Enrolment Requirements Mission Statement Rolwaling Background